Saturday, August 15, 2009

Home, Sweet, Home!




Bottom: Robert, Kia, Paul, & Lillian Gruhn sit in their "new" living room with their empty moving van pictured outside the window.

It was all hugs, smiles, and tears of pure joy today. Frankly, Saturday was a day many of us have been looking forward now to a long time. No more so than the quaint, multi-generational family put through hell and back in the past 14 months. As we wrapped up promptly at 11:59 AM, I stood in the living room and pressed the silver key so hard into my palm that it made an imprint. It was the extra house key that Robert gave me over two months ago so I could come and go as I needed. Those days are now over. I handed the key over to Paul, put my hand on his shoulder, looked him in the eyes and said, "You are no longer a flood family; you are now just a church family! Just like everyone else," I told him, "we will be here for you whatever your needs." We hugged, took some pictures, and closed an important chapter of flood recovery in the life of First Lutheran Church.

My day started before dawn, as I dropped off a few things at the Boardman home and headed to Marion to pick up the Gruhn's moving van. I got the biggest truck they had - a 26 footer. I mean this thing was so big it had air breaks and a small ladder to climb aboard! Have you ever had this frightening feeling you have bitten off more than you can chew? As I went over the agreement in the parking lot with the rental guy as this beast of a truck loomed over us, this same fear washed over me. Please, Holy Spirit, help me with this behemoth! And then the Spirit answered.

I pulled up to the Gruhn's FEMA trailer. Kia greeted me with a smile and a wave. Soon after Vicki Hughes and her uber cool son, Roger pulled up. As it turns out, Roger worked as a professional mover for two years and drove a similar truck in downtown Manhattan in rush hour! Tell me the Lord doesn't provide for all our needs! Dave DeWolf, Robert, and I loaded nearly everything as Roger went to work packing it all in. Kris Cleveland did a saint's job inside packing and cleaning along with Vicki, Kia, Nova Kolander, and Lindsey Sheibe. After a short stop to pick up a few things in storage, Roger and I pulled the big rig into the Gruhn's drive at 11:15 AM. Our crew on the other end made short work of things. After some short direction, we had everything unloaded by noon. It was a remarkable day, one I will never forget as long as I live.

If you'd like to get in on some of the celebration, please join us in any worship service the weekend of Aug. 29/30 and at the Gruhn's for a house blessing and open house on Sunday, Aug. 30th. See you there!


No comments:

Post a Comment