Thursday, May 21, 2009

RAINDATE: People Needed to Canvas Flooded Areas!

This event has been moved to Thursday. Are you availible that day? Please post! Be sure to include your first and last name.

Guess what the big problem facing Flood Recovery in Cedar Rapids this summer? No, it's not needing more volunteers. Some 4,000 people are expected to come to Cedar Rapids in the next few months. The big problem is there might not be enough work for them! Can you believe that? Why? It gets confusing, but the short answer is many people are doing it themselves, there's lead paint restrictions, and there's a lack of knowledge of the need out there.

What can you do? Ah, good question! The Rebuild Coalition announced today that a citywide canvas of the flooded areas turned up 140 new homeowners asking for help! That's great! They canvassed all 2,875 effected homes EXCEPT a few neighborhoods. I nearly jumped out of my seat when I heard this and said we at First Lutheran Church would love to help them finish this! What do you think? Are you up for it?

We have 10 packets of surveys that will take 2 people 1 an hour and half to complete. The survey is simple. You knock on doors and ask questions. I'll teach you everything you need to know. I'm proposing three times; I'll narrow it down to the two most popular:

Thurs. May 27, 9:30-11:30 AM
Thurs. May 27, 2:00-4:00 PM
Thurs. May 27, 6:00-8:00 PM

Please post your availability and your comments below....

5 comments:

  1. Hi Craig,

    I work the evening shift full time so the only time I could volunteer would be the May 27 9:30-11:30 AM spot. I hope that turns out to be in the top two.

    Take Care,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be interested in assisting as well. Any time would work for me, but 9:30-11:30 would be good. John S. When and where should we meet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys, Thanks for responding! Another 4 people approached me at church about helping as well. We are well on our way towards knocking this out!

    They are talking rain on Tuesday. I'm going to check the weather and get back to you. If you could please post your first and last names in your posts, that would be good! -Craig

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. Rain it is, all day Tuesday. We are moving to Thursday. What times work for you?
    -Craig Brown

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, Thursday is not going to work for me. Perhaps I can do something else in the future. John S.

    ReplyDelete