Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Meet the Gruhns!


You might be asking yourself,"Who is this Gruhn family I keep hearing so much about?" Well, they are a neat little, atypical family worth getting to know.
Like you, I had heard so much about them that when the day came for our first meeting, I found myself piloting my pickup anxiously through the raindrops with my hands gripped to the old, leather wheel. As I passed by house after half-built house, my heart grew heavy in my chest. I thought to myself, here it is almost one year to the day after the flood and so many people still need our help! The sky over my cherry-red pickup was dull and gray, the exact same sky as that heart-breaking week of the flood. But my spirits were about to be lifted by a furry little friend.

As I opened the door to the Gruhn's flooded out home, I was greeted by a cute, little, white and brown dog. A blond teenager swooped down to pick up the dog and introduced herself, "My name's Kia," she said with a teenager's optimism, "And this is Daisy." Kia was very pleasant and we hit it off right away. She happened to know a close friend of mine who will also be a sophomore next year in high school. I felt God's Spirit touch my soul and I opened my mouth and put words to it, "Kia, we are going to have your family back in your house by the time you start school!" (Their general contractor told me in an earlier conversation that he is committed to the same goal). I just know the people of First Lutheran will come through. The moment gave me goosebumps. Daisy pranced around us in circles and Kia told me, "You know, Daisy just seems more happy here in our house. She loves to play over here even though it's just plywood floors and bare studs."

Next I met Kia's Dad, Robert. Robert is a hard-working, fun guy with a smile you can't seem to ever wipe off his face. Robert is also deaf, which made communicating with him a little challenging at first. The two of us talked about how the gray skies, the upcoming flood anniversary, and all the challenges we've faced thus far have made us all feel glum. I told them I honestly wondered one year ago, "Where is God in all of this?" Then I shared with them that I've since come to realize that God is present in those of us who come to help out others. God is also present in people who have lived through the flood and teach the rest of us humility. The three of us then joined hands and prayed for God's guidance and protection in the weeks ahead.

A few days later, I had the chance to meet Kia's grandparents in their FEMA trailer....that's right 3 generations living under one roof! Paul and Lillian have been members of FLC for over 25 years. The cute, seasoned couple celebrate 46 years of marriage together this month. Sure they are not perfect people (none of us are), but all in all, they are a family I feel glad to give my time and energy helping this summer. I think you will too!

1 comment:

  1. I truely hope and pray that Robert and his family are doing well. Robert and I worked together at Mike McGrath and Robert was the photographer for my husband and I's wedding. Kia is also amazing. I will pray for the Gruhn family and please let them know that if they need anything they can get ahold of me.
    Christina Davis

    ReplyDelete